All Saints Anglican Church, including interiors

Item details

Name of item: All Saints Anglican Church, including interiors
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church
Primary address: 325 Stanmore Road, Petersham, NSW 2049
Local govt. area: Inner West
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
325 Stanmore RoadPetershamInner West  Primary Address
Hopetoun StreetStanmoreInner West  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

The use of polychrome brickwork and the attractive setting make this church of strong aesthetic significance. Socially it represents the suburban development of Kingston South and it lies within the area that developed as the Municipal centre of Petersham from the 1880's.
Date significance updated: 11 Jan 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the Department of Premier and Cabinet copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: B. Blackhouse
Builder/Maker: T. Lane
Physical description: All Saints Anglican Church is an excellent example of the use of polychrome brickwork. The roof retains its square and fishscale slate tiles and the building is set in an open and well treed site, surrounded by a brick fence which is capped by a wrought iron fence to Stanmore Road. Other boundaries have a simple metal rail above.

Information on some of the stained glass windows:
1880: five light window at west end, memorial window. Signed by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake.
1882?: 3 light window at east end, with subjects in medallions. 'Erected by a daughter in loving memory of her mother who died 10 May 1881' Signed by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake.
1900: Two windows revealed from the workshop of Lyon, Cottier etc. 'Daniel playing harp' and 'Nathanial'. One light each.
1902: 'Light of the World', 1 light window, memorial to Septimus Alfred Stephen, died 18 August 1901. Signed by Lavers and Westlake, London.

According to information provided by the rector in 2004, the encaustic nave tiling around the baptistry dates from 1898: in the Rector's Address to the 1898 Easter Vestry Meeting it was reported that the tiling of the nave had been completed. The minutes of the Parish Council Meeting of the 5th May 1958 indicate that the question of the loose tiles in the aisles particularly the northern aisle was raised and it was agreed to substitute concrete for the tiling. The minutes of the Parish Council Meeting of 8th June 1959 that the main aisle and the northern aisle had been concreted. The Chairman announced that the southern aisle of the Church would be concreted on Monday 15th June.

This site also includes the Rectory, Kindergarten and Hall (1926) which are of heritage significance in association with the church building.

The church hall (1926) is an accomplished colonial revival building with fine interior joinery and details.

The rectory is also of interest but more research is needed to ascertain its architect. It bears the hallmarks of the work of E A Scott who also designed the rectory at St Stephen's, Newtown in 1907.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good
Date condition updated:19 Jan 99
Modifications and dates: Minor modifications.
Current use: Church and rectory

History

Historical notes: The foundation stone of this church was laid in May 1870 and the building was opened in November 1871. The architect was Mr. B. Blackhouse and the builder Mr. T. Lane. The church was enlarged in 1879/80. In the area originally served by All Saint's there are now seven parishes.

All Saints Anglican Church, Stanmore is one of a large group of Gothic Revival parish churches built in the Newtown/Stanmore area in the late nineteenth century and across all the major denominations. Others include:

c1859-1860 Wesleyan Methodist Church, King Street (architect: George Allan Mansfield)
1862 Congregational (now Uniting) Church, Railway St, Petersham
1869 St Joseph's Catholic Church, Newtown (architect: Thomas Rowe)
1871-1874 St Stephen's Anglican Church, Church St, Newtown (architect: Edmund Blacket)
1871 Newtown Baptist Church, Newtown (architect unknown)
1874 Methodist Church, Stanmore (now part of Newington College)
1881 Presbyterian (now Korean Canaan) Church, Gordon St, Petersham
1882 St Luke's Anglican Church, Stanmore Rd, Enmore
1886 Enmore Church of Christ, Metropolitan St, Enmore.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
All Saints Anglican Church, Stanmore is of high local significance as one of a group of Gothic Revival churches built in the Newtown/Stanmore area demonstrating the development of the area in the nineteenth century.

All Saints Anglican Church, Stanmore is of State significance for its association with Benjamin Joseph Backhouse RIBA (1820-1904), the prominent late nineteenth century architect.

Commencing in Ballarat in 1853, Queensland in 1861 and New South Wales in 1868 Backhouse built a large and provincial architectural practice as well as a prominent public career in infrastructure and public welfare. At the end of his life he was elected the first socialist member of the NSW Legislative Council.

In Sydney Backhouse built no less than three theatres: the Tivoli, Lyceum and Palace, none of which survive. His church works are his other best-known buildings and include Woollahra Congregational (interior lost by fire), All Saints, Stanmore (a major work in polychrome ) and halls for St Peter's, East Sydney and St Matthias, Oxford St. For East Sydney parish he also executed a vestry and the dramatic polychrome rectory of c1872. Within the Marrickville LGA, Backhouse also designed the first Holy Trinity Church, Dulwich Hill which is now used as the church hall (1880s).

The church hall (1926) is a colonial revival structure with high-quality joinery and fittings.

The rectory is also of interest but more research is needed to ascertain its architect. It bears the hall marks of the work of E A Scott who also designed the rectory at St Stephen's, Newtown in 1907.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
All Saints Anglican Church, Stanmore is of State significance as one of the best examples of nineteenth-century polychrome brickwork in NSW. It is a fine example of a Gothic revival church and the major surviving work of architect, Benjamin Backhouse. It is one of the most distinctive churchs of the nineteenth century in the state.

All Saints, Stanmore is Backhouse's most complete surviving work and an outstanding essay in structural polychrome. More common in Victoria, this style has few major examples in New South Wales outside of the work of William Wardell (who came from Victoria to execute St Mary's Cathedral)

At a time when the stone parish churches of Edmund Blacket were predominate, this adventurous and modern brick architecture was a bold departure.

Apart from this church, the principal works of the idiom are the AS&N bond store in lower George Street, The Rocks and Glenleigh at Mulgoa.

The church is also architecturally distinctive for its plan form. The aisles are separately roofed resulting in a triple gable at the east and west facades. Internally, this gives three separate hammerbeam truss roofs in a row kept apart by an arcade of cast iron columns. Interestingly this form whilst common in British churches was rarely employed in New South Wales, and the only other major example is East Sydney (Oswald Lewis, 1859) to which Backhouse added the vestry in about 1872. The organ case at All Saints is probably original to the interior. There have been other additions in the interwar period of less distinction, among them the side chapel, reredos, glass doors and war memorial.

The church hall (1926) is a very accomplished colonial revival structure with high-quality joinery and fittings.The rectory is also of interest but more research is needed to ascertain its architect. It bears the hall marks of the work of E A Scott who did the rectory at Newtown in 1907.

The whole site is bounded by a perimeter fence built at different times which encloses an established setting with mature trees. The church is visually prominent and the whole site makes a significant addition to the streetscape of Stanmore Road and the adjacent Maundrell Park.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Local
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
All Saints Anglican Church, Stanmore displays high research potential. It is of State significance for its unusual technical construction which involves separately roofed aisles creating a triple gable at the east and west facades. Internally, this gives three separate hammerbeam truss roofs in a row kept apart by an arcade of cast iron columns. Interestingly, while this form was common in nineteenth-century British churches, it was rarely employed in New South Wales, and the only other major example is East Sydney (Oswald Lewis, 1859) to which Backhouse added the vestry in about 1872.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
All Saints Anglican Church, Stanmore is of State significance as a rare example of nineteenth-century polychrome brickwork and for its unusual roof construction.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
All Saints Anglican Church, Stanmore is of high local significance as one of a group of Gothic Revival churches built in the Newtown/Stanmore area demonstrating the development of the area in the nineteenth century.
Integrity/Intactness: The buildings remain intact and retain their integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

General maintenance

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville Local Environmental Plan 2011I22412 Dec 11 2011/645 
Local Environmental PlanMarrickville Local Environmental Plan 2001 18 May 01 86 
Within a conservation area on an LEPMarrickville Local Environmental Plan 2001    
Heritage study     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Marrickville Heritage Study19862.50Fox and AssociatesNovember 1984 No
Marrickville Heritage Study Review19972030092Tropman & Tropman Architects1997-1999 Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenDana I Giedraityte Stained and Painted Glass in the Sydney Area c1830 - c1920
WrittenHector Abrahams2004Heritage assessment notes

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2030092
File number: 2.50


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of Heritage NSW or respective copyright owners.