St Mary's Anglican Church Group

Item details

Name of item: St Mary's Anglican Church Group
Other name/s: St. Marys Anglican Church Group
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church
Primary address: 246a Guildford Road, Guildford, NSW 2161
Local govt. area: City of Parramatta
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT11DP4047
LOT21DP4047
LOT31DP4047
LOT41DP4047
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
246a Guildford RoadGuildfordCity of Parramatta  Primary Address
Bolton St CnrGuildfordCity of Parramatta  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

St Marys Anglican Church is of significance for the local area for historical and aesthetic reasons, for social significance that it has for its congregation, and as representative of Interwar period church buildings. The building makes an important contribution to the streetscape and presents a local landmark when viewed from the street.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the Department of Premier and Cabinet copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1937-
Physical description: Gothic style church built of light coloured bricks in Flemish bond pattern with parapeted gables and Marseilles-tiled roof. The building has a c. 1970s addition at eastern side which is not significant. The property allotment has a low brick fence with brick coping.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Good
Modifications and dates: National Trust (Parramatta Branch) supplied Year Started.
Further information: Water Board plans; Fowlie, II, 28-30; C. T. 1447 f. 107

History

Historical notes: Site of the church transferred to trustees on 18 Dec 1902. In 1903 a mission hall was built on this site. Became a separate parish in 1912. Foundation stone of the present church laid by H. W. K. Mowll 17 April 1937. Shown on Water Board plan of January 1938 as complete. National Trust (Parramatta Branch): Site of the church transferred to trustees on 18 December 1902. In 1903 a mission hall was built on this site. Became a separate parish in 1912. Foundation stone of the present church laid by H. W. K. Mowll 17 April 1937. Shown on Water Board plan of January 1938 as complete. Site of the church transferred to trustees on 18 December 1902. In 1903 a mission hall was built on this site. Became a separate parish in 1912. Foundation stone of the present church laid by H. W. K. Mowll 17 April 1937. Shown on Water Board plan of January 1938 as complete.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item historically significant.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
This item is aesthetically significant
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
This item is of social significant
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
This item is representative
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan 26121 Feb 97 20873

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
City of Parramatta Heritage Study1993261Meredith Walker  Yes
Parramatta Heritage Review2004 National Trust (Parramatta Branch)  No

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 2240261


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of Heritage NSW or respective copyright owners.