Historical notes: | Reverend Samuel Marsden arrived in the Colony in 1794 as a 28 year old assistant Chaplain. Later that year Marsden received his first New South Wales grant of 100 acres on the Field of Mars near Dundas. He developed an interest in the selective breeding of stock and pasture improvement and in 1804 received a grant of 1030 acres at South Creek near St Marys, where Mamre was established. The grant straddled South Creek, the western portion being located within the Parish of Claremont, and the eastern, smaller portion within the Parish of Melville. He cleared and cultivated both holdings immediately and began his selective sheep breeding experiments. He aimed to achieve the breeding of a sheep that would produce good meat and wool. He crossed a Spanish Merino ram and ewe, bought from Captain Waterhouse, with the best of his Bengal hair-producing breeds. Within two crosses, the sheep were producing wool rather than hair. Marsden was convinced of the economic prospects of fine wool for the Colony and abandoned his earlier aim and began to breed primarily for fine wool production.
Marsden's fleeces were noted as the best in the Colony between 1804 and 1814. In 1807 Marsden returned to England to recruit clergy, missionaries and teachers and took with him samples of his best wool (presumably produced at Mamre). Marsden arranged for J. & W. Thompson's Park Mill at Rawdon, near his home village, to weave it into two suits. Marsden wore one suit to an audience with King George III ('Farmer George') and presented the other one to the King. In return Marsden was presented with five merino ewes from the Royal Flock [Murray & White 1998:94].
In August 1809, the Marsdens returned to Australia with five Spanish Merino ewes and young from the Royal flock. Marsden was one of the best farmers in the colony, as well as being a chaplain and magistrate. His estates were used as model farms with orchards of grapes, peaches, apples, pears, oranges, apricots, nectarines and berries. There was also wheat, oaten hay, exotic pasture grasses, sheep, cattle and horses. By 1836 Marsden's landholdings totalled almost 12,000 acres and he had well over 20,000 sheep and 1,100 cattle spread over his many properties. Marsden's will states that Mamre was approximately 1,500 acres at the time of his death in 1838
In 1838 the property passed to Charles Simeon Marsden. On 21 August 1839, Charles Marsden and his wife Elizabeth the daughter of respected soldier, landholder, magistrate and family friend, Captain John Brabyn and his wife Sarah Brabyn, applied to the Supreme Court of New South Wales for a Mortgage to Richard Rouse, for a sum of £1,300, for Mamre. It was advertised as existing of 1,000 acres, 500 of which were cleared, as well as "dwelling house, extensive orchard and garden, barn, stabling and enclosed paddock."
Richard Rouse acquired Mamre in 1839 and in 1841 the property was given to his daughter Elizabeth Henrietta Rouse as her principal wedding gift when she married the Hon. Robert Fitzgerald, MLC for Windsor. [Murray Cree 1995:55]. Elizabeth and Robert Fitzgerald continued as absentee owners and leased the farm to several different tenants including the Marsdens. On the death of Elizabeth (Rouse) Fitzgerald, Mamre passed to her eldest daughter, Elizabeth who continued to lease the property.
In 1845 Charles’ mother-in-law, Sarah Brabyn repurchased 110 acres of the former Mamre estate, called Shrivenham, for her daughter Elizabeth, After a short time at Shrivenham, Sarah leased Mamre and the family returned to live in the homestead.
The next known tenant was James Hall, who took over the lease from 1886 to 1949 and lived in the house with his wife, Emily Elizabeth Shadlow. Hall established a large dairy on the property as well as crops and pigs
.
The main residence in the 1930s was as it is now, except for the infill rooms to the verandah which have been demolished. There was thought to have been a cellar under the verandah on the southern side. The kitchen and dining building was detached from the main house, but connected by a covered way of approximately 20 feet from the verandah of the kitchen to the verandah of the house, which formed a small brick paved entrance courtyard.
The dairy had weatherboard walls, with a gabled roof of timber shingles, later covered over with corrugated iron. About 30 feet from the dairy was a barn. The stables, situated about 50 feet from the dairy, to the east included a brick gaol and a harness room arranged at either end of the four stables. The stables were divided into eight stalls, with a brick floor. Behind the stables was a stone paved pig sty.
In March 1949, most of the property was transferred to Emily Ethel MacLaurin of Sydney, and her son, Professor Evan Colin Briarcliffe MacLaurin, descendants of the Fitzgerald family who used the property as a weekender. The homestead underwent major renovations at this time, including garage, boiler room and laundry additions, and replacement of the windows, shutters and staircase. The two-roomed kitchen and dining room was also demolished at this time, as were many of the outbuildings around the homestead, including the dairy, stables and barn/farmhand loft.,
In 1949, architects Lindsay, Thompson and Spooner were commissioned by the MacLaurins to renovate the house. The alterations were instigated to improve the living conditions of the house, which was in a poor state of repair, a result of its prior use as a cow shed. Landscape works were also undertaken at this time. The works showed some concern for the original form and character of Mamre, as roof lines were repeated, and materials were matched, including the stone sills, timber louvred shutters, corrugated iron sheeting and stuccoed exterior walls.
The area of the original grant was first subdivided between 1952-1955 with 489 acres 3 roods and 37perches remaining. Eight lots were sold, and an extra part was also sold, leaving mostly the eastern portion of the property. Part of the extant property in September 1953 was mortgaged to The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney. In May 1965 the land for the M4 Freeway was resumed by the Commissioner for Main Roads, and major subdivisions occurred in 1968 with only 85 hectares remaining. Arthur Windsor and family lived in the caretaker's cottage from 1968-83 and continued the farming activities. The caretaker's cottage was presumably on the eastern side of Mature Road as there are no cottages to be seen in aerial photographs within the current boundary. The property was transferred to the State Government in 1975, however the MacLaurin family continued to use the homestead until 1978. The homestead was then unoccupied and vandalised.
In 1984 works to restore the house were undertaken by Howard Tanner and Associates. The broad aims for restoration at this time were to maintain and reinforce the architectural qualities of the original building; remove elements which were not critical to the importance of the homestead, rectify structural defects; to replace deteriorated or missing original elements in new material to matching detail; and to enrich the existing characteristics by cleaning, refixing, supporting and finishing existing building elements.
In 1986 Mamre was bought by the Department of Environment and Planning and leased to The Sisters of Mercy for a term of 20 years. They proposed the re-establishment of a working farm with crops, vegetables, plant nursery, farmyard animals, showcase herd of cattle, Egelabra Merinos descended from Marsden's flocks, craft and community activities, educational and archival material and farm workshops. In July 1990 the homestead was opened to the public by the NSW Premier the Hon. Nick Greiner. Mamre continues to offer job skills and training. |