| Historical notes: | The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Gadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora. There is no written record of the name of the language spoken and currently there are debates as whether the coastal peoples spoke a separate language "Eora" or whether this was actually a dialect of the Dharug language. Remnant bushland in places like Blackwattle Bay retain elements of traditional plant, bird and animal life, including fish and rock oysters.
With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Gadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. All cities include many immigrants in their population. Aboriginal people from across the state have been attracted to suburbs such as Pyrmont, Balmain, Rozelle, Glebe and Redfern since the 1930s. Changes in government legislation in the 1960s provided freedom of movement enabling more Aboriginal people to choose to live in Sydney.
(Information sourced from Anita Heiss, "Aboriginal People and Place", Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/barani )
In 1811, Governor Macquarie dedicated 490 acres to the south of South Head Road for public use. This included all land south of Oxford Street from South Dowling Street to Centennial Park and Moore Park. The area was swampy and unattractive for residential settlement. South Head Road (now Oxford Street) was built in 1803 to access a Pilot and Signal Station at South Head. The first toll bar in Paddington was at the intersection of Darlinghurst and Oxford Streets. By 1841 it was relocated near Victoria Barracks (corner Oxford and Glenmore Road).
The area to the east of South Dowling Street was part of 70 acres granted to John Palmer in 1794 which became known as ‘George Farm’. Palmer sold his Surry Hills holdings in 1814. The block was subsequently subdivided into 15 large allotments. Early development occurred north of Taylor Street by 1850. At this time Rushcutters Creek ran through the Conservation Area and the rest of the block was divided into 5 large blocks. The southern portion was owned by Hannam. The block (some eight acres) bound by Taylor, Flinders, Hannam Streets on South Dowling Street was purchased by James Chisholm and remained intact till the 1830s. By 1844, Taylor had purchased a portion along Oxford Street and some development existed fronting Oxford Street.
The growth of Paddington gained momentum in 1838 when it was decided to build the new military barracks at Paddington Hill. The site chosen was located on part of the Sydney Common adjoining the road to South head. At this time the land was described as being remote from the town centre with a terrain unsuitable for agriculture and covered with stunted trees, sand, and scattered outcrops of stone. Its advantages as a location for a Military Barracks included its proximity to good drinking water at Busby's Bore, the bounteous quantity sandstone available plus the high ground which was very suitable for defence purposes. The barracks fronted the South head Road and for its first 30 years were surrounded only by the crown lands of the Sydney Common.
Once the Victoria Barracks were erected and the soldiers in residence, stores and cottages grew up in the vicinity to cater for the militia and their needs. Minor industries also began including a wool-washing business, lime pits the first water mill for grinding wheat and the first commercial salt water boiling station.
The subdivision of areas of the Sydney Common commenced in the 1850s. The areas were divided into Blocks of roughly 15-50 lots and gradually released for sale over the next 25 years. Lots generally had frontages of 20 feet or wider for allotments along Moore Park Road and the southern part of Flinders Street with smaller lots in internal streets,typically 11-15 feet, such as in Selwyn and Iris Streets.
Within the Conservation Area there were large blocks set aside for community use including the site for public school on Albion Street, a grant for the Church of England School at the corner of Albion and Dowling Street, Church grant at the corner of Napier and Oxford Streets and a grant for Wesleyan parsonage at Napier and Dowling Streets. The large areas devoted to public purposes reflects the intention of the 1811 dedication of the Sydney Common for public use.
By 1851 Paddington had a population of 1,389 inhabitants, making it the third largest village in Sydney after Glebe and Balmain. The first state school was opened in 1856 and called the Paddington School. In 1860 the municipality of Paddington was proclaimed and six years later the first Paddington Town Hall was built. The boundary of Paddington ran down Dowling Street. By 1870 there were 52 shops in Paddington, 37 of them being located on Old South Head Road. The shops picked up trade from those travelling from the city to Bellevue Hill and Bondi. Greens Road was built in 1881. Albion Street Public School began in 1883 with the present structure being built in 1892.
The Depression in 1890's brought building activity in Paddington to a halt. By 1895 the depression was receding , but from that time on buildings were less ambitious and smaller in size. The area of land left in Paddington on which to speculate was not large and the market was more cautious due to the economic climate.
New transport, in the introduction of trams and buses, made the concept of living in a healthy detached house on a half acre block in the suburbs entirely possible. There was no longer a need to live near one's work now that people could commute on public transport to and from work. The change in landlord ownership began as the middle class owners and tenants slowly moved out of the suburb. There was consequently less of an interest in well maintained properties. By 1930 Paddington was a slum. Tenants could not pay rent, and the landlords could not afford to maintain the buildings. Streets fell into disrepair. Many terraces became rooming houses, and balconies were boarded up to accommodate more people per house.
During the 1960's there was pressure from developers on the local authorities to demolish much of the suburb for highrise development. As a result the Paddington Society was formed in 1964. The aims of the Society were to conserve the suburb as important to Australia's heritage, to increase and improve it's amenities, and to research and publish its history. Paddington was listed as the first ever conservation area by the National Trust (NSW) in 1979. |