| Historical notes: | STATEMENT OF COUNTRY
Transport House is located on the land of the Gadigal of the Eora nation (AIATSIS/Horton 1996). It stands on a ridge, now known as Wynyard Park, between Warrane (Sydney Cove) and Tumbalong (Darling Harbour). The site is known to have been a campsite, with several Aboriginal stone artefacts uncovered in 2014 during excavations for the Wynyard Station upgrade (Irish and Goward 2015). The Gadigal sourced food and fresh water from the several nearby streams and mud flats before these were disturbed by colonisation and the built environment.
A large-scale video work at the start of Wynyard Walk entitled Virtual Warrane @ Wynyard celebrates the deep-seated and ongoing connection of the Gadigal to the Country on which Transport House stands and to the surrounding bodies of water (Transport for NSW 2025). Many places around the harbour remained important hunting, fishing, and camping grounds long after European settlement, and continue to be culturally significant today.
COLONIAL PERIOD
In 1792, convicts finished construction of a military barracks and parade ground that dominated the settlement at Sydney Cove. By the 1830s, the barracks was proving a barrier to town planning and commercial growth in the fledgling city, resulting in it being decommissioned in 1848. Much of the land was sold for residential development, with a section known as Wynyard Square reserved for public amenity. The neighbourhood developed into a thriving retail and financial precinct thanks to its proximity to the General Post Office and Martin Place (Radford 2016).
The site's association with public transport began in the 1880s, with a bus terminus established at Wynyard Square. The possibility of a railway station was raised in 1881 (Whitaker 2008). Up to this point, rail networks were mostly located inland and used for the transportation of agricultural goods. However, the 1890s depression and a decade of severe drought brought hardship to rural communities and prompted a shift in investment. Sydney's suburban railway network expanded dramatically as a result (Sydney Trains n.d.).
CITY RAILWAY NETWORK
City access to rail services improved in 1906 with the completion of Central Station (Liston 2025). However, the location of the terminus at Central Station, at the southern end of the business district and far from the harbour limited the network's utility.
This was to shift in the 1920s, when civil engineer John J.C. Bradfield developed a plan to provide Sydney with an inner-city rail network powered by electricity (Sydney Trains n.d.). Bradfield promoted his vision in press articles and public addresses, arguing that city and suburban electrification would benefit large property owners, new home purchasers and the general public by opening up new land, with quicker transport and cheaper fares (Balinski 2021; Spearritt 2006). Bradfield believed that a well-designed and well-constructed electric railway system would be essential to an expanding modern metropolis like 1920s Sydney (Flyte 2020). Bradfield's plan gave rise to the inner-city underground system, of which Wynyard Station, opened in 1932, was a key element.
WYNYARD STATION
Wynyard Station was built using a cut-and-cover method, whereby much of the bedrock below Wynyard Park was used for the construction of the tunnels, platforms and associated structures. The station could be accessed via a bank of three wooden escalators from York Street. To distinguish Wynyard from other stations on the City line, interior wall tiling featured a decorative blue band of tiles. From its opening, Wynyard was the busiest station on the City Circle line, selling nearly 150 per cent more tickets per year than Town Hall by 1939 (TAM - Sydney Trains n.d.).
TRANSPORT HOUSE ("RAILWAY HOUSE")
Wynyard Station's York Street entrance became the site of a new headquarters for Department of Railways offices previously located at Central Station. Construction of Transport House (originally named "Railway House") was started in 1934 and completed in 1935. It represented a high point for the department, following on from the completion of underground system and of lines over Sydney Harbour Bridge. The socioeconomic climate into which it was born is evident in the furore caused by the use of day labour in the building's construction (Building 1936; Dunn 2008).
The design work was shared between railways staff and consulting architects H.E. Budden & Mackey (Building 1936; Allman Johnston Architects 1999). Henry E. Budden and Nicholas Mackey were leading architects of their time, having won the Sulman Medal in 1933 for their design of the Primary Producers' Bank at 105 Pitt Street (demolished in 1964). Transport House was to show a shift in their practice towards Art Deco aesthetics, which continued in Transport House, Macquarie Street (SHR 02111), built 1938, and the Sydney Water Head Office (former) (1939 building) (SHR 01645), formerly known as the Metropolitan Water, Sewerage and Drainage Board building.
The original plans were for a symmetrical building extending along York Street from Margaret to Erskine Street with wings on either side of a central tower, however only the southern wing and tower were constructed. The asymmetrical design, relatively uncommon in Interwar Art Deco style, gave the building a more modern look and enhanced its aesthetic merits (Apperly, Irving and Reynolds 1989; Dunn 2008; Metcalf 1997). The York Street facade featured a fenestration pattern "unique for such a large building in Sydney for its time": a tower with vertical lines that contrast with long horizontal bands of windows over most of the facade (Allman Johnston Associates 1999: 23).
Art Deco buildings were still a relative novelty in Sydney, the first having been constructed in the early 1930s as the Depression ended. Transport House was, along with the BMA Building (SHR 00252) and the Rural Bank Building (now demolished), one of the first office buildings built in the style (Metcalf 1997).
The designers chose a striking green for the facades in reference to the colour scheme of the railway carriages of the time and anticipating the use of green for Sydney's public transport network, buses, ferries and trams (Dunn 2008). Wunderlich Limited, the company behind Sydney's mass adoption of red roof tiles (Deakin University n.d.), supplied custom-designed glazed terracotta tiles (also known as faience) for the facade. Wunderlich had pioneered the manufacture of ceramic facings for city buildings in Australia and began commercial production as early as 1924 (Van Daele & Lumby 1997; Allom Lovell & Associates 2005). Transport House followed on from their success cladding the 1928 Commonwealth Savings Bank (SHR 01427), one of the first clad with Wunderlich ceramics (Wunderlich Limited 1957; Lewis n.d.). The iconic Transport House quickly became a calling card for Wunderlich, photographs of the building gracing the cover of the company's promotional materials as faience turned fashionable in the 1930s (Wunderlich Limited 1938; Allom Lovell & Associates 2005).
The building's aesthetics and design were well received, described as colourful without being vulgar, and modern without being extreme. The design of the large frontage gave "the impression of a train speeding to its destination" with strong horizontal lines (Building 1936: 15). The building won an early Sulman Medal in 1936, Budden and Mackey's second, and the Royal Institute of British Architects Medal the same year.
Transport House was considered one of the most modern buildings in Sydney in aesthetic and technical terms. Its cutting-edge design features included air conditioning throughout, the first government office buildings to do so and one of the first buildings overall in NSW (Van Daele & Lumby 1997; Artefact Heritage 2021; Dunn 2008).
The building was notable for its integration with the power grid and electrified rail network. A "trouble room" on the sixth floor centralised management of the railway's electricity network and had a direct link to White Bay Power Station, while a bank of three timber-cleated escalators efficiently transported large numbers of commuters between the ground floor lobby and the main concourse (Building 1936; Dunn 2008). Although these were neither the first escalators associated with public transport in NSW nor the largest example, they were notable for their integration in a public network combining various modes of transport (Building 1932; Sydney Morning Herald 1937).
LATER PERIOD
In the 1950s, the original escalators were replaced with new timber-cleated models. In 1973, a new building named "Transport House" was erected on the northern side of the 1935 building. The two buildings were linked internally resulting in heavy modification of the earlier building.
Levels 1 to 12 and sections of the Ground Level and Basement Levels were sold to a private owner in 1999.
An upgrade to Wynyard Station commenced in 2014 and resulted in the replacement of the 1950s escalators.
The ongoing use of the building's ground floor and basement levels for railway operations demonstrates continuity of its original purpose and offers insights into the evolution of the railway system through the 20th and 21st centuries. |