| Historical notes: | STATEMENT OF COUNTRY
St Alban's Anglican Church is situated on the traditional lands of the Wonnarua people, who have cared for the Country of the Hunter Valley since deep time (Tindale, 1974). The Hunter River (known as Coquun in the local language) flows to the west of the church grounds (Albrecht, 2000).
The substantial distribution of archaeological sites around Muswellbrook (including artefact scatters, scarred trees and rock engravings) demonstrate the ongoing presence of Wonnarua people in this landscape. The Wonnarua maintain a strong presence in the Hunter Valley, leading programs to revive their traditional language, record oral histories and restore traditional land management practices.
EARLY MUSWELLBROOK
Following the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788, fledgling colonies were established at Sydney Cove, Parramatta and Newcastle. By 1822, Governor Brisbane was planning further settlement across the fertile Hunter Valley (Stubbs, 1994). That year, surveyor Henry Dangar reserved a village site near a tributary of the Hunter River where he'd observed large heaps of mussels. He named it Muscle Creek, using a common 19th century spelling for 'mussel' (The Sydney Morning Herald [SMH], 2008). Wealthy figures like Sir Francis Forbes, George Forbes, Henry Dumaresq and William Cox established estates nearby.
In 1833, Robert Dixon surveyed a town at Muscle Creek. Early records called it Musclebrook, Muscle Brook, Muscletown or Musswellbrook, until Edward Denny Day standardised the spelling as Muswellbrook in 1837.
Wheat, wool and tweed passed through Muswellbrook to ports at Morpeth and Newcastle for distribution across the colony, encouraging the town to grow (Turner, 1995). The discovery of gold in the Bathurst and Hunter regions in the 1850s also increased Muswellbrook's population. Over the following decades, colonists expanded throughout the Hunter Valley, increasingly displacing the Wonnarua people from their Country (Wilson-Miller, 1985).
In 1839, James White bought the Edinglassie homestead south-west of Muswellbrook. After his death in 1842, his seven sons built thriving enterprises in the Hunter Valley and Armidale, founding one of NSW's most prominent pastoral dynasties (The Farmer and Settler, 1955).
In 1843, Muswellbrook became an independent parish and its first church was built just west of the present site (National Trust, 1981). The church, dedicated to St Alban (England's first martyr), was a modest brick structure with serious structural defects. In 1846, a tower was added to stabilise the building (Heritas, 2012).
ANGLICANISM IN THE COLONY
Religion played an important role in the early colony, with the British government keen to manage its moral and spiritual welfare. Churches were central to emerging communities, offering a sense of order and familiarity, spiritual support, and practical services for struggling families.
Convicts and colonists brought their faith across the seas, creating an unusual religious pluralism in NSW. The 1836 Church Act reduced tensions between the various denominations, offering equal subsidies to build places of worship (NMA, n.d.). It also required churches to be designed by a professional architect. That same year, William Broughton became the first and only Bishop of Australia. Broughton sympathised with the ideas of the British Oxford Movement which supported a return to traditional medieval practices and church buildings (Kerr, 1977). His beliefs established the Gothic Revival as the preferred style for the colony's Anglican churches, a preference that gained traction in the 1840s as more skilled architects emigrated.
WILLIAM EDWARD WHITE
Born in 1834, William Edward White was chosen by his mother Sarah, widow of James White, to enter the clergy (State Heritage Inventory, 2026). Bishop Tyrrell of Newcastle supervised William's religious education, reflecting the family's standing. Reverend Boodle of St Alban's began William's training in 1850. After further education in England, William returned in 1860, when Bishop Tyrrell ordained and appointed him to the parish of Muswellbrook (Armidale Express, 1913).
The new Reverend White rejected additions to the existing church, considering them inadequate for a parish of Muswellbrook's status. Supported by his family's wealth, he instead resolved to commission a new Gothic church from 'one of the best architects in England' (The Maitland Mercury, 1876).
SCOTT, BLACKET AND HUNT: EXTRAORDINARY ARCHITECTS
Sir George Gilbert Scott was born in Buckinghamshire in 1811 and apprenticed as an architect in 1827. Scott restored 18 churches and designed over 800 buildings across the British Empire, including St Pancras Station, the Albert Memorial and the British Foreign Office (The Guardian, 2011).
A leading figure of the Gothic Revival, Scott was passionate about the 'archaeologically correct' replication of medieval designs. Regarded as 'a man of honour and an architect of extraordinary skill', he was knighted in 1872. Scott was buried in Westminster Abbey, one of only seven architects to have achieved this distinction (Westminster Abbey, n.d).
Edmund Blacket was born in Surrey in August 1817. Emigrating in 1842, he served as Colonial Architect from 1849-1854 and Anglican Diocesan Architect from 1847-1883. Blacket is considered one of Australia's most important architects, renowned for his Gothic Revival designs across NSW (Woffenden, 1969).
Born in Canada and trained in Boston, John Horbury Hunt arrived in Sydney in 1863. He became Blacket's chief assistant in 1865 and established his own practice in 1869 (Museums of History, 2002). Hunt's strong sensibilities influenced his employer's practice, with Blacket's 1860s work colloquially known as his 'queer period' (AAA, 2019). Hunt introduced radical forms into Australian architecture, focusing on 'power, character and the use of revealed natural materials' like timber and brick (Freeland, 1972). Despite dying in poverty in 1904, Hunt is today regarded as one of Australia's most exceptional architects (Museums of History, 2002).
THE SECOND ST ALBAN'S CHURCH
In 1861, Reverend White wrote to Reverend Boodle to ask him to obtain church drawings from English architect George Gilbert Scott (Heritas, 2012). Boodle, who had returned to England, was a willing agent for his former parish. Scott sent 100 pages of drawings for 100 pounds, a considerable sum that White paid himself. Scott's designs for St Alban's were the only ones he supplied for an Australian church, though he did send drawings for minor elements of St Andrew's Anglican Church in Sydney and St John's Anglican Church in Camden (Kerr, 1977).
The foundation stone was laid on 11th November 1864 (The Maitland Mercury, 1864). Blacket was appointed project supervisor and, after scouting the site, sent Hunt to oversee construction (Heritas, 2012). Frustrated by Scott's finely drawn but unmeasured plans, Hunt annotated them with caustic technical comments (Freeland, 1972). He also decided to mark the interior, creating a polychrome scheme which was painted and incised on the scissor truss roof (Kerr, 1977). St. Alban's was the last of Hunt's projects with Blacket; this flourish may have been Hunt's farewell to this important partnership.
The region's leading Anglican families contributed to the ambitious project. The White family put money towards the new church site and provided most of the stained-glass windows, while Cox and Dumaresq families made substantial donations (The Maitland Mercury, 1864). The interior was enriched by an intricately carved lectern, pews and pulpit from Reverend White and a Walker organ gifted by his sister (Benson, 1993).
'HARMONIOUS AND EXQUISITELY BEAUTIFUL'
Completed in June 1869, St Alban's was the most celebrated church in the Hunter Valley. The Australian Town and Country Journal described the church as 'well proportioned, graceful, yet simple and plain', while The Sydney Morning Herald praised its 'rare symmetry and grace...probably unequalled in Australia' (1871, 1872). The Maitland Mercury called it 'one of the most perfect specimens of ecclesiastical architecture in NSW' (1876). Its program of stained-glass windows was also widely praised. In 1871, the Earl of Belmore visited and donated 50 pounds towards a window, and Premier Henry Parkes attended mass there the next year (SMH, 1872).
Complications with the land title and 12,000 pounds of debt meant that St Alban's was not consecrated until June 1876 (The Maitland Mercury, 1876). Large donations by Sarah, Francis and William White helped resolve the issues, with the final amount raised just days before the consecration.
Hunt returned to Muswellbrook in 1871 to design a home for Sarah White (now the rectory, outside the curtilage). He also designed the schoolhouse (now parish hall, outside the curtilage) in 1874-75 and the picket fence in c.1881 (Heritas, 2012). Historians disagree whether he was also responsible for the belfry (Heritas, 2012).
TWENTIETH CENTURY
During the 20th century, St Alban's functioned increasingly as a place of collective memory in the Hunter Valley, with commemorative elements integrated into the church and grounds. After Archdeacon White's death in 1913, the bell tower was converted into a memorial clock and the vestry enlarged (Heritas, 2012). In 1920, a soldiers' memorial was added. Memorial gates and three stained-glass windows were installed in 1952 and a burial garden established in the 1970s.
The White family remained benefactors of St Alban's, making major financial contributions in 1914, 1929 and 1959 (Benson, 1993). The Edinglassie pew label has been retained in recognition of this longstanding association.
RESTORATION
The picket fence, belfry, windows and organ have undergone extensive conservation works since the 1980s. In 2013, the external restoration won an Australian Stone Award (ASAA, 2014).
St Alban's legacy has been acknowledged by architectural historians, with Joan Kerr calling it 'the perfect rural parish church of the 1860s' (Kerr, 1977). Today, it continues to play an important role in the religious life of the Hunter Valley. |