| Historical notes: | STATEMENT OF COUNTRY
Darling Point, known as Yarranabbe, is within Gadigal land on Eora Country (AIATSIS). The Gadigal people inhabited the lands from South Head to Pyrmont. The shorelines included fishing camps and rock shelters, with day to day life centred around fishing in the harbour. The area was scattered with shelters, art, campsites and middens, which may have been the source of lime mortar to construct estates such as Lindesay.
Following European colonisation, Aboriginal people around Rushcutters Bay and Darling Point continued to live traditionally into the late 19th century. There are documented early interactions with Darling Point residents such as George Thornton, the first Mayor of Woollahra (Coast History & Heritage 2021). However, by the 1880s, the Aborigines Protection Board (note historic language) had been established and sought to regulate the ways and places in which Aboriginal people throughout NSW lived, forming camps around Edgecliff. Despite the devastation of European colonisation, Aboriginal people have remained in the area with strong connection to Country (Ingrey & Irish 2011).
DARLING POINT, A SUBURB FOR GENTLEMEN
In the years following settlement at Sydney Cove in 1788, most free workers lived and worked within the town boundaries established by Governor Philip in 1792. From the Macquarie period, infrastructure and settlement gradually expanded beyond the original boundaries, and increased arrivals of wealthy settlers and civil officers required comfortable housing away from the busy centre (Karskens, 2011).
Elevated and renowned for its picturesque harbour views, Darling Point - named for Governor Darling's wife, Eliza - was identified as an ideal location for "gentlemen's estates" and villas. The construction of New South Head Road in 1831 saw widespread land clearance, and established a vital transport route between the town and what would later become Sydney's Eastern Suburbs (Jacobsen, 2016).
In 1831 Surveyor General, Major Thomas Mitchell, drew the early allotments. These plots of land were granted or sold to wealthy men such as Captain John Piper, Governor Darling, and the Colonial Treasurer, Campbell Riddell, who was allocated the future site of Lindesay. Over the next decade, the suburbs of Woolloomooloo, Darlinghurst, Point Piper and Darling Point came under private ownership, characterised by Georgian marine villas with large sprawling gardens spotting the harbour foreshores (Orwell & Peter Phillips, 2004). Marine villas were grand mansions sited and designed to be seen principally from the harbour or coastline. They varied in style across the 19th century, ranging from Regency villas, to Gothic and Italianate styles.
Before Campbell Riddell's land grant was finalised, Governor Darling returned to Britain, and a policy change in Britain ended the governors' practice of granting free land. This turn of events put Riddell's grant in jeopardy and he turned to the Acting Governor, Colonel Lindesay, for assistance. Lindesay's attempts to intervene on Riddell's behalf were unsuccessful and the promised allotment at Darling Point was put on the market. However, it was purchased by James Holt, likely on behalf of Riddell, who was later transferred the land for the same price in 1834 (Orwell & Peter Phillips, 2004).
CONSTRUCTION OF LINDESAY (1834-1838)
On January 4th 1834, the Sydney Gazette reported that Colonial Treasurer Riddell was constructing a mansion designed by James Chadley, a surveyor, builder, auctioneer and estate agent. By March, however, architect Edward Hallen had taken over the design and was searching for builders. The project soon after found its third designer, Francis Clarke, who supervised the construction (Orwell & Peter Phillips, 2004). Edward Hallen, the brother of another significant colonial architect, Ambrose Hallen, is perhaps best known for his design of the original Sydney Grammar School building on College Street. Arriving in NSW in 1829, he was took employment in the Surveyor-General's Office and in his capacity was responsible for the design of the Argyle Cut, the (now-demolished) City Markets, along with Roslyn Hall (Darlinghurst) and Telford Place, and Rose Hall. With his commissions affected by the 1840s Great Depression, Hallen moved to a pastoral run in the regions (Boyd 2012, Encyclopedia of Australian Architecture). Francis Clarke is credited with the design of St Peter's Richmond Anglican Church at Richmond, Callooa at Darling Point, and possibly contributed to Macquarie Field House.
The efforts of the three architects and inspiration from vernacular pattern books (notably J C Loudon's 'Villa in the Old Scotch Style' (1833)) makes Lindesay difficult to singularly attribute. As Riddell was a Scotsman, the aspirational, Gothic style popular in his homeland was the key influence in Lindesay's design (Orwell & Peter Phillips, 2004).
In August 1836, it was advertised that Riddell's 'magnificent residence' was nearing completion and Lindesay became the residence at Darling Point, and one of the first Gothic residences within New South Wales.
Despite the Gothic exterior, the interiors incorporated Georgian architectural characteristics alongside site specific adaptations suited for early harbourside residences. Most notably, the front door was located on the side of the house, to allow for widespread harbour views from the main rooms. Stone, clay, and shells for mortar were likely sourced on site, and records show the construction crew comprised convict labour, including a nailer, brickmaker, carpenter, plasterer, limeburner and bricklayer. Subdivision plans from the late 1830s show the full extent of the grounds, comprising stables, a boat house, garden house, accommodation for servants/staff, and an expansive garden which likely functioned as a small farm, including orchard trees, kitchen garden and mature decorative trees including a British Oak (Orwell & Peter Phillips, 2004).
The Riddell's moved into Lindesay in 1836, with an increased staff/servants, including a labourer, cook and confectioner, a veterinary surgeon and coachman, gardener and farm servant. Additional servants likely relocated from the Riddell's previous town residence at Darlinghurst and 11 convict labourers lived at Lindesay.
Despite the grandeur of the estate, the Riddell family lived at the residence for less than three years. As the colonial administration changed under Governor Bourke, Riddell's role in the Executive Council became unstable. The family sold Lindesay to Thomas Icely in January 1838, moving back to Darlinghurst before returning home to Britain (Orwell & Peter Phillips, 2004).
SPECULATION, MITCHELL AND NICHOLSON (1838-1868)
Following the Riddell's departure, Lindesay had many wealthy occupants. Several, including Icely and James Barker, purchased Lindesay for speculative reasons, proposing subdivisions which would not go ahead. Sir Thomas Mitchell, Surveyor General, purchased Lindesay in 1841 as the perfect seat to supervise construction of his own house, Carthona, right on the Darling Point waterfront nearby. His daughter Blanche was born at Lindesay in 1843.
Upon completion of Carthona in 1843, Mitchell sold Lindesay to his friend Dr Charles Nicholson, the eminent art collector and newly elected member of NSW Legislative Council (Russell, 1980). Under Nicholson's ownership, his immense library and collection of classical statues, which would later become foundational donations to cultural institutions such as the Australian Museum and the University of Sydney, filled the rooms of Lindesay. Overlooking the harbour, the Gothic pairing of Lindesay and Carthona were a frequent source of inspiration for artists such as Conrad Martens and S.T. Gill, and these residences were frequented by Sydney's high society (Orwell & Peter Phillips, 2004).
In 1848 Nicholson sold Lindesay for (Pounds)3000 to William Bradley, another member of the Legislative Council. Few alterations were made Lindesay in the years prior to Bradley. Moving in with five daughters however, Bradley oversaw the addition of new rear stairs, stable, coach house, groom's quarters, and several new rooms and outbuildings to accommodate his large family. Old yard structures closer to Carthona would have been demolished at this time.
The Bradley's returned to Britain from 1858 to 1963 and leased Lindesay to various tenants, including its former owner, Sir Charles Nicholson, before his permanent return to England. Bradley returned to reside at Lindesay from 1863 until his death in 1868. The sale notice from 1868 outlines room uses, including public reception rooms, dining room, drawing room, breakfast room, library, office and butler's pantry on the ground floor, with six bedrooms, dressing room, linen closet, bathroom and patent closet on the first floor. The basement level featured kitchen, laundry, larder, servant's rooms, wine cellar and well (Orwell & Peter Phillips, 2004).
THE TURN OF THE CENTURY AND SUBDIVISION (1868-1926)
City of Sydney Alderman John Macintosh purchased Lindesay in 1868 and resided there until his death in 1911. Following Macintosh's death, Lindesay was purchased in 1913 by the notable metals manufacturer, Alfred Wunderlich; however, it is unlikely he ever lived there. Lindesay had become an "old fashioned" estate and was one of the last remaining harbourside estates escaping the fate of subdivision.
Wunderlich's 1913 subdivision removed a large extent of the garden, garden house, and setting, also disconnecting Lindesay from the harbourfront and from Darling Point Road. As a result, access to the villa had to be negotiated from Carthona, which was also being subdivided. From this point onward, Lindesay was entered from Carthona Avenue.
Dr Edward Jenkins purchased Lindesay following Wunderlich's subdivision. Jenkins engaged Robertson & Marks to undertake substantial works. Established in 1892, they are regarded as one of Sydney's most influential early 20th century architectural firms, with their architectural portfolio including Challis House (1917), the Bank of NSW Head Office (1927), Mercantile Mutual Building (1929) and the AWA Building (1937). The firm's early works included significant Federation Warehouses, however by the 1920s they had largely progressed to become leaders in the Interwar Commercial Palazzo style, including the Gowings Building (1912-1929) and the Farmer & Co. Department Store (1920), and early Functionalist buildings, such as the S.H. Hoffnung & Co. building and the Bondi Surf Pavilion (1930) (Robertson 2012, Encyclopedia of Australian Architecture).
Robertson & Mark's 1914 works included the rebuilding the rear service wing, construction of internal bathrooms and a new kitchen on the ground floor, installation of electricity, conversion of the stables to a garage, removal of the tennis court, and replacement of the main internal stair. Other changes included like-for-like replacement of decorative details, such as picture rails and cornices, and the addition of a second storey to the southeast wing. Changes also brought servants rooms up from the basement to the ground floor, conversion of the library to a servants hall, relocation of the kitchen, and provision of a new private staff bedrooms separate from the rest of the house. These changes reflect changing attitudes to domestic staff, providing improved working conditions and increasing privacy and safety for the predominantly female domestic staff (Orwell & Peter Phillips, 2004). While designed by Robertson & Marks, the works were designed to be generally consistent with the existing character of Lindesay.
THE PYE FAMILY (1926-1963)
In 1926 the Pye family purchased Lindesay, with an extended, multigenerational family residing there for several decades. Few changes occurred within their ownership, limited to an extension of the garage and addition of a gazebo.
In 1960 Colonel John Pye found himself as the sole owner of Lindesay. He proceeded to subdivide the property further into two lots and converted the house into three flats. This included the creation of separate ground and first floor flats, and the removal of the main staircase constructed by the Jenkins' family. Changes to the ground floor - intended to be Colonel Pye's residence - included a new staff entrance at the east of the house, new maid's rooms, bathrooms, and new stairs. Limited changes were made to the first floor, which became a three-bedroom flat accessed by the rear staircase. Finally, a third flat was built over the garage (Orwell & Peter Phillips, 2004).
NATIONAL TRUST OWNERSHIP (1963-Present)
Colonel Pye passed away in 1963 and Lindesay was inherited offered to the National Trust by his brother and beneficiary Walter D. Pye, who also left some furniture with the property.
The National Trust Women's Committee, largely led by Cherry Jackaman and Dame Helen Blaxland worked tirelessly to raise funds for Lindesay's restoration. The Women's Committee arranged house tours, exhibitions and events to booster visitation and Trust membership, becoming an influential part of heritage and preservation advocacy in the mid-20th century. Restoration works were undertaken with the assistance of Guy Lovell, Honorary Architect for the Trust, alongside the horticultural expertise of Diana Pockley, who founded the National Trust's Garden Committee. These efforts saw appropriate restoration of the building and gardens of Lindesay, centred around framing the picturesque harbour view with appropriate trees and establishing formal entrance garden and parterre. In the 1980s, to celebrate 150 years of Lindesay, Clive Lucas Stapleton and Partners undertook further restoration to the property, removing unsympathetic additions (such as early 20th century bathrooms) and restoring access between the ground and first floors to match the earlier staircase configuration (Orwell & Peter Phillips, 2004).
In 2013 the National Trust celebrated 50 years of ownership of Lindesay, largely managed by thea property closely associated with the Women's Committee, a major fundraising Committee for the National Trust for the duration of this time. At this time, more than $20 million had been raised and Lindesay has been the picturesque site of a historic house museum and successful heritage venue. |